Saturday, April 13, 2013

Spring Has Sprung


After a few weeks back in the Republic of Moldova, I'm back into the swing of life here.  As you may remember, my primary work placement is with ACSA, the rural extension agency in Moldova more or less.  Unfortunately, they have not had any more funding since I arrived at site.  Since January, they have not even paid salaries to any ACSA employees, which includes the 3 employees in our office (plus part-time cleaning lady and part-time accountant) and all of our local consultants (paid part-time).  Thus, the situation has been pretty bleak and difficult.  The federal government must agree to fund ACSA for the next five years hopefully.  They say they will have an answer by April 22, but they've given several deadlines like this with no results.  What they seem to not understand on the national level is that some offices are closing out of necessity and may not reopen so easily.  Our office has stayed open almost every day on a volunteer basis.  Some farmers still come in to complete paperwork for grants/subsidies previously received from the federal government.  A handful of farmers every week come in to ask questions on other matters. 

As my primary work placement hasn't had much work for me to do, I continue to focus my efforts in other areas.  The biggest area is youth development.  Last week on April 3, the English teacher I've been working with implemented a GLOW workshop for ten 10th grade girls, focused on self-esteem and self-confidence.  I was really proud of her!  The girls weren't all that excited to be there at first, but by the end of the workshop, they were enjoying talking about the topic of self-esteem and doing activities that they wouldn't otherwise do.  Video below is an activity that helped to explain what GLOW Girls Leading Our World) was all about.


Last weekend, Moldova ATiP had an informational session on anti-human trafficking efforts in Romania.  The leaders of the marketing campaign, Not For Sale, which is a program of the Ratiu Democracy Center in Romania, shared about their efforts in mobilizing youth and adults in Romania in educating society on human trafficking, risk factors, and also preventative measures to take.  Also, a person from La Strada in Moldova, came and spoke about the organization's Hot Line (Linia Fierbinte).  The call line is available 24/7 for anyone in Moldova or abroad who suspects trafficking of persons; has missing family or friends who may have been trafficked; or is concerned that they may be trafficked themselves. 

Finally, I must share with you my "spring (almost) has sprung" evidence.  At least there are new baby animals around:


Baby puppies and a kitten at my host family's house in Cricova (family from last summer).

I'll end with a list of other things that have made my last couple weeks:

  • My host dad told me the last time I visited that he started putting ginger in his tea. Okay, it's not that big of a deal, but the first time I made ginger tea and he tried ginger, he cringed and afterward would not at all go near it! 
  • My host family bought a travel package to visit other countries, one week per year for the next three years, on vacation.  Since when did my host family get the urge to travel?  And since when did Misha think he could overcome his fear of flying?  Once again, I'm happy for them and slightly amused that they would do this, knowing that a few months ago they said they have everything they need and could want in Moldova.  Why would they leave?  ("Vacation, sight-seeing, cultural enjoyment, and new perspectives!" I said previously. Maybe they believed me, that it's quite fun to travel.)
  • My roommate, Lindsey, is pretty much the best.  She's a good friend, a good cook, a clean roommate, one who will share her food and clothes (expanding wardrobe, woohoo!), one who allows me to bounce my crazy work ideas off her, and one who makes you go out and exercise with her.  We're a pretty good team!
  • We had a fantastic Easter celebration with a few close volunteer friends, celebrating the sacrifice and resurrection of Jesus.  We're so blessed! 


No comments:

Post a Comment