Sunday, April 27, 2014

Spring in Moldova

Spring in Moldova is fantastic.  After one or two too many months of grays and browns and cold weather, the sun comes out, the tulips and lilacs start blooming, and my whole being naturally becomes a bit lighter and happier.  Spring is all about new life and refreshment.  Growing up in Nebraska where there are four seasons like here, I have always appreciated spring for how the dead of winter transforms into a flourishing green earth.  I empathize with those who are eager to plant their crops or their gardens just as Easter time comes.  Today, on my Sunday stroll through town, I heard some chicks peeping from a little box a young boy was carrying.  I smiled and recalled my years on the farm picking up baby chicks.  Signs of life are everywhere!

Last weekend was Easter.  Lindsey and I had a few friends over to celebrate.  I love the beauty of the traditional Orthodox Easter here, where early in the morning people gather at the church quarters with their Easter baskets of goodies to get blessed by the priest.  Lindsey and I went again this year and even stayed up to watch the sunrise this time.  Instead of saying hellow, now for 40 days, people often greet one another saying, "Hristos a inviat!"  (Jesus is risen!) And responding with "Adverat a inviat!" (Truly he rose.)  I like this tradition and reminder.

How many boys does it take to shred cheese?  Even more, to make dinner?  We had some good Mexican food for Easter! (not so traditional but delicious!)
Easter morning at the church with Svetlana's girls
Everyone leaving the church yard after waiting for an hour or two for the priest to give his blessing and shower everyone with holy water.  Lots of people up at 4:00 am!
Feeling blessed after a magical night of Moldovan tradition.

Sunrise viewed from the top of an abandoned building.  We had an exciting climb to get to this spot.

The day after Easter is also a holiday.  We went over to the host family's and then for the first time went to the forest for a barbecue, a popular thing to do in Moldova on the weekends especially if you're from the countryside.

Go Nats!  I gave Misha this hat, and his first comment was that it's the color for Communists.  But since it's from me, he'll accept and proudly wear.  I told him it's the color of all my favorite sport teams in America!

Happy Easter Photo!

Barbecue in the forest with new friends!  I have been helping a farmer with some translating to acquire new equipment, so he then invited us to join his family and relatives for the day.  On Lindsey's right is a short-term British volunteer in Causeni, working with Svetlana.
Today, for the first time since before I hurt my knee last summer, I went on a big 6 mile run.  It felt so great to be out there and lost in thought while burning calories and releasing my energy.

With a view like this, why not have a good run!?

A couple weeks ago, I randomly took a Sunday drive with my good friend Cristina and her boyfriend, Alex.  It's sweet moments like this one where I just want to soak up every moment of living in this country.  I recently have felt so blessed to have met some wonderful people in this country, who have shared with me their lives with so much kindness, love, and hospitality.

Attempts at jumping photos make everyone smile.

Cristina and I at the most idyllic spot on the road from Chisinau to Causeni.

No comments:

Post a Comment