Friday, June 22, 2012

Sliced Bread & Other Creations

A couple days ago, we heard from a former Peace Corps Volunteer in Moldova, who talked about her experience from 2007-2009. She ended up marrying a Moldovan farmer, thus she remained in country and was able to come talk to us. Among many enlightening topics, she talked about how no store-bought bread was sliced when she first arrived in Moldova. She tried to convince her Moldovan friends (primarily the baker) that a market existed for pre-sliced bread. The baker and others refused to believe this or believe that it would be worth it to buy a slicing machine. But sure enough, now Moldova has sliced bread. A few more Lei per loaf of bread will pay off that slicing machine in little time. This is a very small example of the mindset in Moldova that can be hard to change. Tradition and history are strong cords of stability and familiarity here, just as they are in the U.S. and perhaps anywhere. They just might play themselves out a little differently from place to place.   In other news, my little brother is one of the most creative 8 year old's I've met. A couple days ago, he created a maze from string usually used for building small trellises in the garden. Yesterday, he built a "summer camp". My host sister just got back from a week of summer camp. Thus, he was inspired to build one- of course on top of the bars that hold up the grape vines. Where else? I would have attached a photo of his craftsmanship from yesterday but… maybe another day when the wifi cooperates a bit more!   Finally, there are these rodents here that reminds me a bit of the Demmel Farm. They are also the choir that provides me my morning wake up call- the chickens... I have yet to tell my family of my mastery skills in gutting a chicken.

1 comment:

  1. Your mastery skills in gutting a chicken is so valuable in the U.S., so hope you won't be marrying a Moldovan farmer!

    ReplyDelete